-This is a year-long internship with a start date in January/February 2018-
The Human Resources Intern supports all functional areas of HR with a primary focus on recruitment and organizational development. With the guidance of the Employment Coordinator, this position partners with management on the recruitment efforts for non-exempt positions for all departments within UW Credit Union. This includes job postings, scheduling interviews, references, communications to candidates, phone interviews, and assisting with new employee orientation. In addition to recruitment support, this position assists with the preparation for workshops and the implementation of a new Learning Management System. Other functions include: preparing correspondence, maintaining files and records, and conducting special projects. Must maintain a high degree of confidentiality and accuracy in respect to all information that is processed throughout the Human Resources Department.
1) Recruitment and Staffing- 60%
a. With the guidance and support of the Employment Coordinator, conducts a variety of recruitment activities: post jobs, preparing reports, participates in recruitment meetings and provides input on overall progress of hiring.
b. Responsible for screening applications, coordinating interviews and conducting follow-up with candidates.
c. Perform all necessary checks for potential hires such as, criminal and credit and Chex Systems reports, employment verifications, and reference checks.
d. Prepares offer packets.
e. Coordinate and represent UWCU at targeted networking events and area career fairs representing the UWCU Brand in a professional manner.
f. Research benchmark data for local and industry competitors’ benefits and compensation. Report and make recommendations to ensure UW Credit Union remains competitive.
g. Assist with new employee orientation by contributing to updating and developing the program, scheduling presenters, and participating as a presenter. Prepare new hire packets and paperwork.
h. Ensure adherence to all related federal and state employment laws and regulations.
i. Assists with preparation of metric reports as needed.
2) Organizational Development- 30%
a. Assists with New Employee Orientation and Training: assists with coordination of set-up, communication with managers, and preparation of materials.
b. Assists with the preparation of other trainings.
c. Supports the development and implementation of the Learning Management System.
d. Assists with preparation of metric reports as needed.
3) Human Resources Support & Administration- 10%
a. Provide administrative support for other HR/OD functions such as benefits, HRIS and compensation.
b. Provides the Payroll and HRIS Coordinator with assistance in preparing exit paperwork and maintenance of HR related files for compliance purposes.
c. Participate in HR/OD staff meetings.
d. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Two semesters of coursework in an accredited college or technical school with declared major in Human Resources or related field preferred.
- 1-2 years experience working in a professional office setting.
- Student in good standing with school.
- Participation in a student professional organization such as SHRM, ASTD or similar organization preferred.
- Proficiency in a variety of computer software applications, (Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, Word, Power Point & Excel).
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
- Strong attention to detail in establishing priorities completing assignments and projects and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to represent a professional image.
- Knowledge of office administration procedures.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Excellent spelling, grammar and written communication skills.
- Excellent telephone and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of all pertinent laws including but not limited to: FLSA, Title VII, ADA, EEOC etc.