The Internet Systems Developer position is responsible for the development of large-scale, transaction-based applications designed for conducting e-commerce or for major enhancements to existing software. The position is also responsible for the administration and maintenance of UW Credit Union’s external Internet presence (including its on-line banking application) and internal Intranet system. In addition, this position is responsible for participating in the design of existing or proposed database systems to support e-commerce applications. Finally, this position is responsible for unit and integration testing of code and for using secure coding methodologies.
1) Maintain the organization’s external Internet Web sites and internal intranet system- 30%
a. Maintain an efficient user interface that is easy to use and meets service delivery standards for the Internet distribution channel.
b. Communicate with Marketing for product and service announcements and member education materials, Human Resources for employment announcements, the Contact Center to aid in member support, and IT and Network staff regarding system integration and support of our Internet services and systems.
c. Work with other IS team members to create and maintain systems that ensure timely and accurate updates to Internet servers for daily rate changes, Web announcements, intranet enhancements, on-line banking enhancements and other informative changes.
d. Prepare graphics for use on the Internet using industry standard tools.
e. Fix software bugs and make incremental improvements as needed.
2) Develop e-commerce software applications- 30%
a. Develop Web sites, Web forms and user interfaces to ensure delivery channel goals are met. This includes development of on-line banking systems to provide a secure and highly available system for our members.
b. Understand and utilize the tools, technologies and techniques for creating an industry leading user experience for Web browser based applications.
c. Provide creative input to management team of emerging Internet technology strategies that would strengthen our service offerings internally and externally.
d. Conduct unit and integration testing for functionality and business requirements.
e. Build and maintain report systems that facilitate the tracking of site usage and business workflows.
f. Prepare technical documentation of systems and processes.
3) Design and maintain database systems to support e-commerce systems and integrate Web applications with other technologies- 20%
a. Build data base systems to support e-commerce systems.
b. Use appropriate techniques to securely access databases from Web-based applications.
c. Integrate applications, forms and pages with internal SQL servers, vendor APIs and Web services, e-mail systems and legacy systems.
4) Continuous learning and new technology exploration- 10%
a. Become proficient in new Web-based technologies as they develop.
b. Provide education and assistance to others as needed.
c. Maintain a watch on competing financial institution Web sites and ensure that we are providing a superior experience for our members.
d. Be familiar with security concerns related to Internet based technologies and methods to circumvent potential security risks.
5) Perform other divisional duties- 10%
a. Provide adequate job cross-training to IS team members to ensure smooth ongoing operations.
b. Work with IS team members to maximize site availability and complete projects in a timely manner.
c. Assist others in the division as appropriate—fostering teamwork and quality of service.
d. Assist in representing the division in UWCU-wide training.
e. Perform other duties as assigned by Director, Vice President or President.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must demonstrate regular, predictable attendance and be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual must be able to successfully pass background checks.
- Associate’s degree required with a strong preference of a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Minimum of 2 years direct experience working on a public or commercial website (familiarity with the financial services industry is preferred).
- Experience in Web/HTML development and e-Commerce Web site management.
- Knowledge of major Web browsers and the capabilities and limitations of each.
- Expertise in research, analysis, problem solving, design and delivery of Web-based solutions.
- Talent and passion for technology, automation, and process improvement.
- Knowledge of current and emerging Web development tools.