The Web & Digital Designer functions as the lead designer for all web and digital business and marketing initiatives. The individual should have a solid grasp on how design relates to web, social media, etc., and the end user. This position also helps support the conceptualization and execution of multichannel graphic design, for internal and external marketing communications. The individual is responsible for portraying the UW Credit Union brand and ensuring consistency across all channels. This position also helps to establish and maintain brand standards, and supports brand evolution by leading design innovation. The individual must be highly creative, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and be a team player with strong communication skills.
Must effectively carry out the essential duties of this position in a manner that consistently demonstrates the core values of the Organization in a positive manner.
1) Support Execution of Creative Strategy - 20%
a. Conceptualize original web and digital design ideas that bring simplicity and user friendliness.
b. Create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and site maps to communicate interaction and design ideas.
c. Lead digital innovation through emerging media such as animation or video.
d. Conduct A/B testing with web and digital designs to address design, navigation and functionality (to ensure it’s not only visually appealing but it also optimizes conversions).
e. Help to define, document and maintain brand standards.
f. Actively monitor industry trends and competitors.
g. Actively follow project results and make recommendations for enhancements or improvements.
2) Web & Digital Design - 45%
a. Responsible for creating best-in-class web and digital design experiences for uwcu.org, Web Branch, social, emails, ads and other digital user experiences with performance-driven insights.
b. Responsible for the execution of multichannel graphic design, including print.
c. Function as lead web & digital designer on business and marketing initiatives.
d. Maintain and follow brand guidelines within all created pieces.
e. Take projects from start to finish with minimal direction and supervision.
f. Lead collaboration with digital marketing team, copywriters and other graphic designers for best visual/verbal balance.
g. Select stock photography and video, seeking approval for additional spend beyond current subscriptions.
h. Route and obtain design approvals for projects, implementing feedback as needed. Approval authority on designated projects as defined by the Creative Manager.
i. Meet deadlines while ensuring high quality work.
j. Implement creative solutions with new industry methods.
k. Create and maintain accurate files and file structure.
l. Prepare final design and code files and submit to Digital Marketing Manager on schedule.
m. Partner with outside agency to complete projects, as needed.
3) Partner Relationships - 20%
a. Partner and collaborate effectively within the Marketing department, with Internet Services and with other business units in the organization.
b. Schedule projects, maintain project list, and communicate deadlines to partners.
c. Present work in team meetings, and with other departments, as needed. Seek and provide constructive feedback.
d. Lead continuous process improvements for the department and projects, through effective collaboration, documentation, and communication.
e. Coordinate with digital team on production schedule, technical execution, file delivery, approving vendor proofs. Maintain positive, constructive relationships with vendors.
f. Work within project budget scope. Ensure efficient, cost effective solutions.
g. Explore new digital methods or techniques, make recommendations, and educate team.
h. Work directly with external partners on designated projects or initiatives. Maintain brand guidelines when working with external partners.
4) Development and Mentorship - 15%
a. Be an advocate for innovative digital design and strive to continually improve our quality, capabilities and creative products.
b. Establish and promote digital design guidelines, best practices and standards.
c. Maintains technical knowledge in web and digital design through professional publications, online or classroom instruction.
d. Lead mentoring for web and digital design to graphic design team members.
e. Responsible for Individual Development Plan.
f. Assist in the recruitment of new team members.
- Associates degree in Web and/or Graphic Design, or related field required
- Bachelors degree in Web and/or Graphic Design, or related field preferred
- 4-5 years of web & digital design experience required
- Experience in responsive design for multiple devices. Knowledge of user experience principles. Experience with iOS/Android mobile app design a plus.
- Expert knowledge in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat Pro.
- Experience in Email, Social Platforms, Blog Tools, Digital Publishing Platforms, Content Management Systems (CMS), and A/B testing platforms such as Optimizely.
- Retail and e-commerce web experience preferred.
- A solid understanding of security, session management and best development practices.
- Knowledge of Search Engine Optimization process.
- Expert knowledge in print and digital production and file preparation.
- Proficient in Microsoft Products including Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Experience in animation, video production, and photography.
- Strong creative, organizational, problem solving and time-management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Strong team player work ethic with the ability to work quickly and efficiently.
- Strong conceptual skills, high level sense of design, layout and typography, a broader thinker who is able to offer a variety of design solutions.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate positively and adapt to changing priorities.